Friday, June 14, 2013

Rule #1

If you do this, everyone will know and laugh at you


I've been on a blogging vacation for a while (soz) but I think I might be back. Maybe. I'm not sure. All I know is I have some social media hang ups I need to divulge. Film people really suck at digital things. And also I lied - this is rules #1, #2 and #3. Bonus rules for you.

Rule #1: don't be a social sheep - look through user timelines before you follow. Don't judge based on a #FF (utterly useless unless personal) or on a single engagement. If someone has made the effort to conversate, check out their bios, their discussions and then make a decision. If they're not someone you see yourself networking/bantering with, drop your Follow finger and move on.

Rule #2: you are missing out on a world of psychological analysis if you do not look through a users' Favourites. Or Favorites, as Twitter (wrongly) calls them. These tweets are like a diary with a faulty lock. You can tell a lot about someone from what they archive - are the tweets self congratulatory? (i.e. they've saved every single rave review about their new trailer/book). Informative? Is there a trend in topic? (mine will be Guillermo del Toro and 'zen' quotes). This is gold, people.

Rule #3: avoid general schmuck-ness - everything you do on any social media platform is visible. Are you liking something offensive on Facebook? Yep, I can see you in the side bar. Are you following Sasha Grey on Instagram? Yes, your girlfriend knows. Are you tweeting in the middle of the night? Or during a work (your day job, I mean) meeting? There's a time stamp on your tweet. Nothing is a secret on SM. Or on the internet, really.


What are some of your film-relevant social media rules?

No comments:

Post a Comment