I swore I wouldn't write yet another 'resolution/New Year/I'm gonna get skinny in 2013' blog post - but I lied. I will keep it short and sweet though: I'm glad this rollercoaster of a year is over and I am grateful for everything it brought. I'm completely content in knowing that I gave my all in love, life and career. I tried new things, starred in a Batman parody video, started my PhD, produced my first short (and endured by first horror film festival) and even met Mr. Bobby D for a second time... where I did NOT ask if he was talking to me. 2013 will be a much quieter year.
Don't get me wrong, I'll still be all up in your faces, with more mustache photos and nostalgic indie band tweets. But I think next year will be more about self-care. Back to health and fitness, looking after my family and looking out for my friends and loved ones.
Before we all gag some more, let's wrap this up with something you might actually care about. Below are my top and bottom ten films of 2012. For some, I give reasons. For others, tough shit - it's 1 am and I dont need to explain myself. Also, for those of you nosey shits, there's a top 5 'grateful' moments of 2012. No, they've got nothing to do with the film industry (mostly) - get over it. Happy New Year, kids.
Top 10 Films
1. Cabin in the Woods - the lift scene. That is all.
2. My Brother the Devil - James Floyd is FLAWLESS in this. Best film of the DIFF 2012.
3. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - everything I was expecting and more.
4. Chronicle - I still hate Max Landis.
5. The Raid: Redepmtion - do I need to explain?
6. Headhunters - again, flawless.
7. Robot and Frank - magic.
8. Tabu - watch it.
9. Asham: A Man Called Hope - directed by Maggie Morgan. Love.
10. Alexis/Lot 254 - brilliant FrightFest shorts.
Bottom 10 Films
1. Prometheus - has Damien Lindelof quit life, yet?
2. The Hunger Games - utter shit. Awful interpretation of a great book. Scared to see the sequels.
3. Un Jour Sang - FirghtFest short: disgusting, unnecessary, gave me an anxiety attack.
4. End of Watch - don't get it, don't wanna get it, end.
5. Red Dawn - watch 'Tomorrow when the War Began' and spare yourself this pain.
6. Jack Reacher - meeehhhhh.
7. Wrath of the Titans - I mean, REALLY?
8. The Five-Year Engagement - no, seriously, WHO FUNDS THESE FILMS?
9. Battleship - why, Liam, why?
10. The Possession - ridiculous.
Top Five 'Gratefuls'
1. A healthy 2013 for an amazing friend. Up yours, cancer!
2. Bday lunch at Le Deux Maggots, Paris - ten minute walk from the Louvre, killer champagne Pimm's.
3. Seeing Rhys Darby/a Smiths tribute show at Ed Fringe.
4. Recieving mystery flowers. Discovering they're from a brilliant human being.